What Are The Important Things To Learn As A Beginner Photographer?
Photography is a great form of art, which is why a lot of beginner photographers are interested in learning more about it. It is not a surprising fact that many people have chosen it as a hobby and will sometimes choose to turn it into a career where they can earn income while doing what they love most.
If you are a beginner photographer and you want to learn more about photography, this article is for you. At My Photo Lesson, we will be sharing with you the important things to learn as a beginner photographer. We encourage you to continue reading below if you want to know more.
If you want to improve your photography skills, there are a lot of things that you must do and learn. Check out below the list of important things you need to learn as a beginner photographer.
1. Get to know your camera – If you want to become a good photographer, you must first get to know your camera. This means you need to know how to control your camera and understand its different functions and settings.
There are different types of cameras available on the market, each one having its own set of unique features. Because of this, one of the first things you should do is understand the essential features of the camera, which includes the lens. Doing so will help you understand how they affect the different features that can affect images that you capture with it.
You should also learn how to change the aperture because it can change the overall look of your photo. Other things that you need to educate yourself on include settings like shutter speed, ISO, white balance, focusing, stabilization, drive modes, etc. so that you can effectively manipulate these to get the results that you’re after.
2. No need to buy the latest camera gear and equipment – As a beginner photographer, you might be tempted to go for the best camera thinking that this is the best way to capture great photos. You can still take beautiful images even if you do not have the latest camera equipment.
All you need to do is practice and study photography to become a great photographer. If you only own a level entry gear, you can still capture great photos as long as you study and work hard to become better. A fancy camera does not a good photographer make, after all. It’s what you choose to do with it that matters.
3. No need to rush – When you are a beginner photographer, you have to take it slowly and learn the basics of photography to become better. You need to learn a lot of things so you will need guidance and help from professionals. One way to get the education that you need is to enroll in an online photography class to help enhance your photography skills. At My Photo Lesson, we offer college-level photography classes that can cater to individuals who have basic to intermediate skills in photography. This way, you can enhance your skills and become a better photographer.
4. Learn and understand exposure – Taking good photos usually means learning how to balance exposure on your camera. Getting a good exposure level on your photos refers to how bright you want the image to be. If a photo comes out too bright, it is considered overexposed.
If it is darker than what you prefer, then it is underexposed. Being a photographer means that you make your own creative decisions, but in the end, you need to adjust your camera’s settings to get the perfect exposure that you are looking for. The best way to do this is by learning how your camera works to see how it affects the overall quality of the images that you take.
5. Learn how to shoot photos in manual mode – Shooting photos in manual focus and exposure mode is important. As a beginner photographer, you may find it hard to learn all these tricks. You can put your camera in manual exposure mode, use a gray card, and understand how to do it.
You can use your camera’s meter as a guideline and make tradeoffs by overexposing or underexposing some parts of the photo, as long as you make sure your subject is exposed properly. By using the manual exposure function, you learn to trust in your intuition and not be over-reliant on your camera’s functions.
6. Learn and understand how to use light properly – In photography, you should know and understand how to use light properly to capture great photos. There are many ways to learn about lighting and how it can affect your shots. You can learn how to use light in a photography class, by reading a book about photography, or simply practicing daily and becoming more aware of the light in your surroundings.
Using light to capture great photos can be quite challenging and may require a lot of practice. Becoming aware of the light around you and how it falls on people, objects, and the scenery will need plenty of practice for you to master.
You can use natural light by going outdoors or you can also use artificial lights. Feel free to use your camera’s flash or you can use studio lights or light setups if you are in a studio or when you are shooting indoors. Mastering light is not easy, so be patient, work hard, and practice some more so you can learn and capture great photos.
7. Learn about ISO – As a new photographer, there are a lot of things that you need to learn and it can be a bit overwhelming at times, but there is no need for you to worry. Most of the time, you might be a bit scared to experiment with using high ISO. While this can make a lot of noise in the image, keep in mind that sometimes, a little bit of noise is better than having an image that is out of focus because of a slow shutter speed.
If you know how to expose your image, having noise on the image is not too bad even when you are using an entry-level camera. Increasing the exposure of your camera can help you can take photos using natural light when you are indoors or when you are outdoors and there is barely any light left.
8. Study depth of field – The depth of field makes up a large part of photography basics. At first glance, it may seem simple, but it tends to get more complex the more you learn about it. Taking the time to learn more about the depth of field and how it affects photography can make a huge difference in your images.
New photographers think that obtaining a background blur in their images simply means to decrease the aperture value, but they forget to consider the distance, focal length, and other important factors, so sometimes it will not show any effect on the depth of field.
You need to learn to control the different variables that can affect the images that you capture, so it may take you longer to understand how everything works. Be patient and work hard, always practice, and continue studying and learning about photography so that you will know about the different options and use them accordingly.
9. Focus on getting the images right while shooting and stop worrying about image processing– As a beginner in photography, processing images using an editing program is necessary, but sometimes there is a tendency to overly focus on editing the image instead of capturing the perfect shot first.
You should learn how to shoot raw so you will have the flexibility to process and edit the images accordingly. If you can capture a great image, you do not need to worry too much about editing and processing your photos. Sometimes shooting raw photos can be scary, but you should keep in mind it is the digital equivalent to a film negative, so you need to have material that you can develop and improve that will suit your preference and needs.
10. Enjoy taking images – As a beginner photographer, you should know that not all photos will turn out to be a work of art. You can take photos according to your perspective and preference. Photography is a form of art, it is your expression of art and how you appreciate your subject as a photographer. Do not be afraid of capturing photos all the time, even if it seems to be an insignificant or everyday event. If you can capture its unique beauty, you can show that good photography does not require huge events to be eye-catching.
You may consider photography as a hobby or side job that can give you additional income but you must understand that as a photographer it is a journey. As you continuously learn and create there is always room for improvement.
Never settle on only becoming a good photographer, but instead, continue to learn and always be open to improving your skills. If you are looking for online photography classes, make sure to check out My Photo Lesson. Our photography classes are prepared and taught by professional working photographers.
Our founder Tom “Tominator” Moore has 20 years’ experience teaching studio and location photography. The online photography classes we offer include notes and step-by-step instructions that will help our students improve their photography skills. If you want to know more about our classes you can check this link. You can contact us by filling up this contact form here.
If you are planning to enroll in online photography classes that will enhance your photography skills, you must checkout My Photo Lesson. We are currently offering affordable online photography classes that will help enhance your skills.
If you have any questions regarding our company or the photography classes that we offer, you can contact us by calling our phone number 720-581-4461 or send an inquiry email at [email protected]. We will teach all the basics that you need to learn in photography. We are looking forward to hearing from you, so contact us today so you can start learning more about photography!